I found Brother Paul Lunt and wife in Parowan. I knew them in Australia. They are very comfortably situated considering they came in last Spring. I stayed 4 weeks in Parowan and could get no employment.

Brother Wandell very kindly offered to take me through to the big valley. Accordingly on the 29th of January we started. Called at Red Creek. Held meeting.

Stayed all night. Next evening we arrived in Beaver City [110 miles into Utah, about 200 miles south of Salt Lake City]. Brother Heywood accompanied us as well as Brother Mullford ____ Henery and his daughter. We put in at Brother Roger's where we were treated very hospitably.

Next day, January 30th, Brother Haywood counseled me to stay in Beaver. Consequently, Brother Wandell and I went forth with and selected a Lot each, though he is going to the City to report himself, etc. Brother Hamel offered (if I would live with him for the time being) his Ox team half of the time, and offered to help me get up a log house and fence my lot. I accepted the offer, started on Monday morning. Yoked up the oxen, the first time I ever yoked in my life, and went to the canyon and got a load of wood. Tuesday I did likewise.

Wednesday, February 3rd, I commenced cutting house logs for myself. I cut twelve and then went up farther in the canyon. Two of the Brethren asked me to give them a lift with a very heavy log on to the wagon. When we lifted it over the bolster they let go. I was not strong enough to hold it, consequently, it came down on my left hand, knocked my forefinger, thumb and wrist out of joint, besides bruising my hand and arm dreadfully. As soon as I got my hand out from between the logs I pulled the limbs into joint again and returned home. Sister Hamel very kindly set to work boiling a wild sage poultice and doctored me up the same evening. Brother Harris got nearly killed by a log falling on his head. I believed nothing but the power of the Priesthood restored him. I have been administered to twice. It has done me considerable good. I make out to cut wood with a hand saw so I am not entirely idle.

Yesterday, Saturday, February 6th, I was enrolled in Brother William King's platoon. We drilled all the morning.

Monday, February 15th. Having recovered the use of my hand, though still weak, I started to work logging for the Church to build a grist mill.

Saturday the 20th. I have been logging all of the week. This afternoon I commenced my house. Clement has been cutting logs as he has no other employment.

Monday the 22nd. Clement has gone to live with brother Tyler. I responded to a call to guard work on the road up Beaver Canyon. I took my blankets and slept there and stayed till Friday, February 26th. I returned home and received the following letter from Elder William Cook:

"To Elder F. W. Hurst: I received your letter from Parowan. Since feeling a strong desire to you and Brother Clement, I can find you profitable employment and make you a home in my family. I layed the matter before President Brigham Young. He told me to write for you both to come and take the letter to his office. The following Monday morning (three weeks since) I did so, and he added a few lines. Wishing you both to come, agreeable to my desire. It went per favor of Brother Joseph Horn, etc. I also want you to see after some trunks of mine and a parcel containing a large family bible. I spoke to Brother S. Anderson about them. He referred me to Brother Cox, late President in San Bernardino. He told me Brother Joseph Hyde had one trunk and parcel in his charge, and that he lived at Parowan."

Next morning I started early and walked to Beaver City, 35 miles. Arrived there about half past one o'clock p.m. I got my feet very much blistered. As Brother Topping was going to the City, and Brother Laney had just started I asked Brother Topping to take my things as far as Fillmore City and I would walk till I caught Brother Lancy who offered to take me and would be glad of my company, but he refused.

There is quite an excitement here in respect to the Indians. One fellow, called Enos, stole three boxes of giant caps from Brother N. H. Cardon. The Bishop, Brother Farnsworth, made him give part of them back. He got mad and went (so I was informed) and killed two cows, one mule, and wounded the Bishop's horse. They had him bound in chains in the schoolhouse.

On Thursday, March 4th, Brother Tews asked to take me along and added, "that is if you find your provisions and agree to walk." Now Brother Tews is a widower, has no family, an almost empty wagon and four horses. Sister Hamel very kindly gave me a loaf of bread and 8 or 10 lbs. of flour. It took us five days to get to Fillmore City.

I went to see Brother William King's folks. They were very kind to me. I wanted to buy some Meat and butter, but they said they did not sell to missionaries. Mrs. King gave me a very nice piece of ham weighing 3 or 4 lbs.

Brother Tews very kindly wanted to take my things out in the street. I told him I had no place to go to and requested him to keep my things till we fell in with some of the wagons. He at last agreed to take them 10 miles farther to Cedar Springs. That evening we camped between Fillmore and Cedar Springs. Not long after we got into camp, Brothers W. Wells and Fortunatus Dustan and their families camped with us. I told them how I was situated. They both very kindly offered to take me. I agreed to go with Brother Dustan as he was going up through the city to Session Settlement. Next morning we started. I drove a one yoke ox team.

Saturday, March 13th. We arrived at Springville. The weather is stormy and has been for some days past. We have passed through Cedar Springs, Salt Creek and Summit Creek, Pete Note, Spanish Fork, where I called and ate dinner at Brother Lunceford's. They were glad to see me.

Sunday, March 20th. I arrived in Great Salt Lake City about half past 10:00 a.m. Too late for morning meetings, but I really felt thankful to my Heavenly Father for his watch care over me in bringing me safe.

I had the great pleasure of spending the morning with Miss Lillian Cook, Elder Cook's daughter. I really do feel as if I had got home. When they came home from meeting I was introduced to Sister Cook, and Brother Thomas Cook, etc. They stated that according to the instructions of President Brigham Young, Council was that we were all to evacuate the city and burn it, saying he knew of a little country in the midst of the desert where our enemies cannot find us.

I went to meeting in the afternoon. Heard Brother George A. Smith, Orson Pratt, and Brother Heber C. Kimball. Partook of the Sacrament. Attended Ward Meetings in the evening. A call was made for volunteers to go to the White Mountains, or elsewhere counseled. We all volunteered, that is Brother Cook and family and Clement and I.

Monday, March 22nd. Attended a social party but did not enjoy myself very much owing chiefly to a severe headache. I was introduced to Miss L. Young, Miss O. Spencer, Miss Green, Georgiana Snow.

Tuesday, Clem killed a pig. We are all very busy preparing to start. We have been making Arrowroot out of potatoes.

Wednesday, March 24th. Got a job chopping wood. In the evening we had a kind of a blessing meeting. Brother Phillip B. Lewis pronounced the following blessing on my head:

"Brother Frederick, I lay my hands on thy head to give you a blessing. The Lord knows the integrity of thy heart and is willing to bless you, for behold thou hast tried to do His will. And in as much as you will continue you will be blessed more abundantly. You shall in due time have a consort or Wife. She shall prove a blessing and an honor to you. Your children shall set round tables like young olives. Thy posterity shall be numerous. Thou shalt have riches and honor heaped upon thee, yea, thou shalt yet go forth to thy father's house and convince thy kindred, and lead them to Zion and thousands of others with songs of everlasting joy. You shall live to see Israel gathered from the four quarters of the earth. Thou shalt feed thousands at thy table. Thou shalt have great power, and many of the great men will honor and be glad to follow you wheresoever you will."

This is all I can remember at present.

Thursday, 25th. Mended and fixed ropes to the tent to take it along with us. Friday cut a wheat bin in half. Made a small bin and a box.

Sunday, March 29th. Attended meeting in the tabernacle morning and afternoon. Heard Brother Brigham Young for the first time. Attended ward meeting in the evening. I have felt to rejoice all the day long. I realize that it is a very great privilege to listen to the teachings of the Fountainhead, or the first Presidency. Oh how long and anxious I have looked forward to the day when I could see the Prophets, Brigham, Heber, and hear their voices. I have always felt to love them and try to sustain them, and my heart's desire is, "May God, our Heavenly Father, long spare their lives to rule over this people and bless them."

March 31st. Brother Thomas Cook was called to go out in the mountains to Echo Canyon. I volunteered to go in his place. Accordingly, all things being settled to that effect, I started on Wednesday afternoon in the company with about 2 or 3 hundred men. We moved to the foot of Big Mountain, 15 miles from the city. Camped about 10 o'clock at night. Plenty of snow on the ground and the cold was very severe. Slept in the open air. Our baggage was brought this far in wagons. Next morning we arose early, sat down and ate breakfast and then shouldered our packs as the wagons could proceed no further on account of the snow. We found the snow very deep, some places five and six feet deep. We marched 10 miles and then camped in the Cottonwood Grove.

Next day, Friday, April 2nd. Walked 22 miles. Very heavy storm of snow and a cold wind. Rested a while at the Weber and then pushed on to Echo Camp. Arrived there about 3 o'clock p.m. We were greeted with a loud shout. Some of the brethren were playing ball, others pitching quotes. They all seemed to enjoy themselves.

Saturday, April 3rd. I aroused the whole camp by firing my musket. I put a handful of powder in it and it made a report as loud as a large cannon. The echo was reverberated from clift to clift. The whole camp turned out thinking the alarm gun had been fired. I came very near being put under guard.

Sunday. Held meeting in the afternoon. Three wickiups were burned down, ours one of the number. We scarcely had time to get our things out. We lost two knives and a tin cup. My blankets and quilt burned a little. Our neighbors suffered worse, they lost a rifle, musket, bedding, etc.

Tuesday, April 5th. Stood day guard. On Sunday I and Henry Hawkins took a walk on the heights amongst the batteries. Henry got so dizzy he tuned quite sick.

Saturday, April 10th. My Brother, Charles C. Hurst, arrived with about 50 others. He gave me some crackers and butter. I am blessed with an excellent appetite but have had very little to satisfy it since we have been out. I do not know the reason but we do not get half enough to eat, sometimes meat without bread and then bread without meat. However, I do not feel to grumble.

Sunday, April 11th. Had a bath, attended outdoor meeting. The weather is real pleasant.

Tuesday, April 15th. I washed my shirts yesterday. Gave Clement a change as he brought none with him. The company he belonged to was ordered to Lost Creek yesterday. As my boots were considerably better than his (his being out at the toes) it was with some difficulty I persuaded on him to take mine. They started this morning. I felt very lonely all the rest of the day. I feel to say, "God Bless my Brother, Clement, and preserve him from danger."

Nothing particularly worthy of note occurred until Monday, April 19th. Two companies, fifty in each, were released and started home. Same day, our company was ordered up to Lost Station. Accordingly, on Tuesday, April 20th, accompanied with a wagon we marched to Lost Station. Distance from Echo Camp, 25 miles. It is well named, Lost Station, for it requires quite a number of men at different posts to guard it. It commanded a ravine of the main road five miles distance. At different times the guard had to report everything that passed. Captain E. Hanks and ten or twelve men were also stationed here. They were generally out scouting. The guard duty was very heavy. The Brethren grumbled considerably.

I cut a pipe out of solid rock with a knife. Made Captain Conyer a present of it. E. Hanks was so pleased with it that he requested me to make him one on a larger scale. I worked hard for a week and then finished it on the 27th of April.

The guard has been doubled lately on account of Powell and twelve men who it was reported were going to stampede our horses and run them off to Bridger, 35 miles away. E. Hanks and seven of the boys went in search of him. They heard he was at the Indian's camp, 8 miles from here, but Ben Simons declared if they went to take Powell they would have to kill him first. However, he said he would send him away, and after he left their camp E. Hanks could do as they liked. Ben went down to camp, told them that E. Hanks was after them. This was enough, at midnight they fled to Bridger.

April 30th. Captain Winder with 19 horsemen arrived to relieve Captain E. Hanks and company. They brought word we would be released in a few days. Sunday the boys builded a corral. Tuesday, May 3rd, 26 men arrived. I volunteered to stay till next relief. Captain Winder wished me to make him a large pipe like Captain Hanks. I told him I did not want the job. "Oh," said he, "make me one and I will pay you for it." After 8 days hard work I finished it. Everybody said it was well worth 5 or 10 dollars.

Sunday, May 8th. Brothers S. Richards, G. Snider and John Green arrived from the East. They reported a large company on the road. Captain Winder dispatched five horsemen to meet them, Dr. Clinton and some others. They calculated to meet them on Green River.

Number of Indians in camp, continually spying out everything they can. The Brethren report great commotion in the East, and in fact all over the world, about the Mormon question.

May 12th. The horsemen returned from Green River without accident.

Saturday, May 22nd. Received a letter from Sister Cook. I and a number of others were released. Next morning, Sunday, May 23rd, we started. Marched 35 miles calling at Echo Camp, and here we were joined by 100 men. It was with great difficulty we forded the river, it was running high at the time. Some of the Brethren lost their hats, pants, boots and shoes. One man nearly drowned.

I had the unexpected pleasure of meeting my brother, Clement, who is in good health. His company was also released.

Next morning Major F. Woolley organized and appointed Captain Burt to take charge of us till we got to the city We marched within 12 miles of the city, about 30 miles. Many of the boys were completely tired out. They called for volunteers to stand guard to watch the horses. I offered my services. Went out at twelve o'clock. Next morning, Tuesday, we marched into the city. All belonging to the country were dispatched accordingly, after getting counsel from Brother William Kimball.

Clem and I started without any provisions. We reached Mountain Neille (?) well on in the night and laid down under a bush till morning. We then pushed on. Passed through Battle Creek. About a mile this side we stopped at a camp. Clem asked a man if he had any grub he wanted eaten up. The man said no. I said I wanted rest anyhow. Presently an elderly woman (God bless her) came up and asked if we would like some new milk to drink. I told her yes, adding that we were very hungry having had nothing to eat since the day previous. "Oh! dear!!" She replied, "Come down to camp, we have plenty."

I need scarcely say, it was with thankful hearts we sat down and did justice to a large dish of bread and milk.

to top

pages 97-103 in the 1961 edition of
The Diary of Frederick William Hurst