After they were gone Brother John Burnett and I took a long walk round and up through town after which we felt better. Finally about 7 pm. we steamed out of the harbor and by 10:00 a.m. next day, Saturday, we arrived in Wellington.

We hurried up to see dear Mother (Charlie and I). Found her in bed, she being unwell. She knew me direct but as usual didn't know Charlie. Mr. Bowler had gone to England but had made arrangements to provide for Mother as long as she lived, for which we felt truly thankful. Clement gave Mother 10p in silver, and I gave Mrs. Diff a gold sovereign or one pound ($5) to get a few little notions for Mother. We knelt down by Mother's bedside and dedicated her to the Lord, after which we bade farewell perhaps for the last time in this world.

At one p.m. we started again. The sea was very rough and all our party except myself suffered with seasickness. I was blessed with a good appetite, and therefore was tolerably good.

Monday evening, May 7th, we arrived in Auckland. Landed next morning but the Steamer CITY OF SYDNEY did not arrive until Wednesday, May the 9th. We were glad to meet Elder E. Hoagland, Father Pegg, wife, stepson Willie, a young man about 18 or 20, two daughters, Lottie about 14 and one 5 years of age. Father Pegg is 82 years old. We found them quite an addition to our party. We were now 16 souls all together.

While in Auckland it rained and blew a hurricane most of the time. We took a trip to North Shore. We got caught in one of the heaviest showers of rain I ever experienced. On account of limited means we engaged passage in the steerage. We secured our berths, got mattresses, made up our beds. The families were allowed cabins 2nd class and we ate in the 2nd class salons. There are a great many passengers, both in steerage and cabins. This steamer is sister to the City of San Francisco, one of the largest ocean steamers, and splendidly fitted up. It was a little rough when we got outside and as a general thing (self excepted) all hands were seasick again.

Thursday, May 10th. 200 miles, head wind. May 11th 283 miles. Saturday 12th, 273 miles, gained a day. Sunday 13th, 239 miles. Monday 14th, 251 miles, sighted the Nauejatous Islands off starboard. Passed near them in the evening. Tuesday, May 15, 269 miles, calm weather. Wednesday 16, 260 miles. Thursday 17, 265 miles. Friday 18, 265 miles. Saturday 19, 267 miles. Sunday 20, 268 miles. Monday 21, 263 miles.

Willie Pegg fell off a rope on the back of his head. Dented his skull in. He went cold and stiff but Charlie and I kept administering to him before they could get the doctor and when he did come he gave him the best part of a tumbler of brandy which of course made him insensible drunk. I sat us with him till 3 o'clock, then Charlie took my place.

Tuesday 22, 271 miles. Willie Pegg is gaining fast much to the doctor's astonishment. We anointed his head and administered to him occasionally.

Wednesday 23, 212 miles. At daylight we were close to Honolulu and by 5 o'clock we were along side of the wharf. Although it was very early quite a number of Kanakas were on hand. Soon all was hurry and bustle. All kinds of fruit such as coconuts, bananas, etc. and late in the day oranges, limes and corals, shells, etc. The day was delightful.

About 9:00 a.m. Brother John Burnett and I walked up to the King's Springs, enjoyed a good wash and change. Only one Kanaka woman joined us in the bath much to Brother John's horror.

We got some fine watermelons. After dinner I took Willie Pegg up in the principal part of town. In the evening Brother John Burnett and I took a long walk through and around the suburbs.

The brass band came down to the wharf and serenaded us. The Choir also. All natives except the leader of the brass band who was a German. The King came on board and the Princess took passage to Frisco with us, that is in the cabins of course. We bought some beautiful specimens of Coral and shells very cheap of the natives.

At 10:00 at night we steamed out for Frisco, and by noon Thursday we had made 144 miles. Friday, May 25th, when we arose in the morning the steamer was lying listless in the water, and all of the machinery stopped. We had quite a scene and thought of our breakdown in the Colima, but nothing very serious happened. We were informed that one of the hands in the engine room had fallen asleep and had neglected to oil some parts of the machinery, and it had got overheated. However, we were rejoiced to see her under way again by noon. We had run 244 miles.

Saturday, May 26th, 269 miles. Father Pegg slipped on a hide (they had just been butchering) and unfortunately put his shoulder out. After a great deal of trouble the doctor set it in its place. Had to administer Chloroform. The old gentleman stands it pretty well and after he was bandaged up felt comfortable.

Sunday, May 27th, 276 miles. Quite cool. Passed a Barque or Ship with all sails set. A very pretty sight. Monday, May 28, 282 miles. Wind on beam. Tuesday, May 29, 298 miles. Wednesday 30th, 281 miles. Thursday, May 31, at 2:00 p.m. arrived at the wharf at San Francisco.

Brother Hoaglund and Burnett and I went up to the post office. I received a letter from my wife containing the news of the death of little May, my brother's little daughter aged 4 1/2 years. I also got a letter for Charlie from Brother Moses Thatcher. Brother Burnett took the letter down to the steamer while brother Hoaglund and I hunted up a Mr. Goodman at the corner of 10th and 4th street. We found him to be gentlemanly and courteous. He made a reduction on our tickets from $40 to $35. We thanked him for it made a difference of $56 in our little company. When we got back all but James Burnett started on the coach to the Golden Eagle Hotel. We found a man loading up our baggage. We took it to the baggage room on Market Street. The accommodations at the Hotel were very good and cheap. 25¢ per meal, the same for beds.

Next morning, June 1, 1877, we checked our baggage through Ogden, got our tickets and started around town. 4 o'clock p.m. took passage on the steamer Julia for Sacramento where we arrived at daylight. Saturday morning took breakfast at the Western Hotel. They took us all up in the coach. We had a very good breakfast.

They then hauled us and all of our things to the station for 25¢ each and one of the agents actually took the trouble to get us all seated together in the best car on the train.

We started about 9 o'clock a.m. Went out about 25 miles and then lay by about 5 or 6 hours, we then proceeded as far as Colfax where we stayed all night on account, they said, of a tunnel having caved in near the summit. About noon on Sunday, June 3rd, we again started. Reached the Summit about 4 o'clock p.m. where we stayed until midnight and then we almost seemed to fly along. We went at such a headlong speed that soon after daylight we reached Truckee.

James Burnett delayed in getting his bread till the last minute and got left behind which caused quite an excitement in our little company. When we got to the next town there was a telegram to put Brother Burnett's family off the train. We left them looking disconsolate enough, however, they all caught us at midnight and we rejoiced to be together again.

At midnight Tuesday they hitched us onto the Express. We then rolled along pretty lively and soon after daylight reached Kelton and Oh what a joy to see the Salt Lake again. And when we began to leave Promontory behind how very natural the old mountains looked form Ogden toward Cache Valley, and then as we drew near the settlements began to come insight; Brigham City especially, Corrine looked dried up ready to blow away, but how nice our fields looked.

The scene was quite enchanting all the way to Ogden. Such a contrast too and far ahead of anything we had seen in California. We had barely time to change cars for Logan. Had the pleasure of seeing Brother Brigham Jr. at Ogden who gave us a real hearty welcome home. We had the pleasure of his company on the cars. We had no money to pay our fares but Brother William Hopkins said if anyone was mean enough to charge he would pay it before we got to Hamptone. Here we met several carloads of the Brethren and Sisters and Sunday School Children. I cannot express my feelings. I felt humble and thanked God.

Here was Brother E. M. Curtis, Paul Cardon, Joseph Goddard, and well so many I could not keep track, and so many of the children had grown out of all knowledge. I was rejoiced to meet Willie and Harris, Lucy and Lillie and Riego. Gracious how they had all grown. Riego didn't hardly know me and was very shy.

We had a sumptuous dinner at Hamptons, after which we proceeded to Logan where we arrived at about 3 o'clock p.m. We found quite a large assembly at the station to welcome us. I didn't really feel worthy of so much honor. Such a cordial shaking of hands.

I will never forget Brother L. Farr hauled us home in his wagon crowded to the guards. We were hailed coming along the streets, and had to jump out every once in a while to shake hands, finally we reached home. Found my dear wife tolerably well but looking very thin and careworn. The twins had grown remarkably and Leo, quite a while after I got home, kept saying, "Take me to my papa, take me to my papa, I tell oo."

The children were all delighted with the shells and corals that I brought along. Everything was new to them. Besides images and animals carved out of wood, a box made of sandal wood and beautifully carved by Chinese, and then all my sketches, etc.

In the evening a very large company, over three hundred, came down with Brother William Knowles to serenade us. God bless them for their kindness. My wife says, "You must go out and invite them in." I told her our city lot would scarcely hold them. I made a few remarks to thank them, and felt to bless them in the name of the Lord Jesus.

Next day Charlie and I attended Fast Meeting. We each spoke for a short time, and on Sunday we had the pleasure of telling our experiences to a large congregation in the new tabernacle. I also addressed the Sunday School children in the morning. It does seem heavenly to me to hear our Sunday School Children sing.

to top

pages 200-203 in the 1961 edition of
The Diary of Frederick William Hurst